Here’s a list of some of the general principles set out in the document. Most SEO specialists agree that these are reasonable principles, and it’s simply a matter of time until they are adopted.
1. Anchor text of links is still quite important. Concentrate on your anchor text. It should contain your main keyword.
2. Google anticipates that anchor texts will be different. A good deal of identical anchor text indicates an”unnatural” linking pattern. Anchor texts should change, but include related phrases.
3. Google will record when particular connections were discovered, and observe how they change over time. Links with a long lifetime are considered more valuable than links with a brief life span. This provides support to the connection delay theory — that hyperlinks don’t begin”counting” until they’ve been in place for a month or two. So get working on those links at the moment, but do not expect instant gratification from Google.
4. If a new website receives a flood of inbound links, this is a sign of potential spam activity. Links should be introduced gradually and according to a constant pattern.
5. Google acknowledges that there might be connection”spikes”, and so an influx of new links will be interpreted as valid if a few of the links are out of”authoritative” sites. Proceed after links from authoritative sites.
6. If a stale webpage continues to receive new incoming links, it will be considered fresh. Keep adding hyperlinks pointing to pages that are important.
7. Links from new pages will in some instances be more valuable than links from”stale” or old pages which haven’t been recently updated. Get links from pages which are active. In case you’ve got high value links from important sites, develop a strategy for maintaining those links fresh.
8. Google puts more value on a website where link growth remains constant and slow. Slow and steady wins the race. Keep getting those links.
9. Pages with many inbound links will require proportionately more new links so as to stay fresh. The premise is that the more links a page has, the more it ought to be receiving in the future. Otherwise it starts slipping to the”rancid” category. Focus more attention on your main pages.
Regardless of whether or not Google implements each these criteria, the overall direction is clear. What’s more, these points make great search engine optimization sense, and supply an excellent place to begin when planning a connection strategy.